Have a question? Please check our frequently asked questions.

1) I am a non-native English speaker but I have been studying in the US for the last 6 years and have never taken TOEFL/IELTS. Should I take the test and submit the score?

Answer: No, you do not need to submit an English Proficiency Test Score Certificate. However, please submit your academic history (in any format) along with your application materials.

NOTE: Applicants who have undertaken their official education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom or the United States in the English language for the most recent 6 years are not required to submit an English test score.

2) My university is not a partner of TIU. Is it still possible for me to apply for JSP as an exchange student?

Answer: Unfortunately, students from universities which do not have an exchange agreement with TIU cannot apply as an exchange student. Please apply directly to JSP.

However, TIU is a member institution of ISEP (International Student Exchange Program), so if your university is also a member of ISEP, you may have a chance to join as an exchange student. Please refer to the ISEP website and ask your university.

3.1) I will be a full-year JSP student starting from fall semester. Are there any procedures I need to do for my second semester such as applying for a visa extension?

Answer:Students who have applied for a full-year will be required during the enrollment procedure to apply for a COE/visa which covers two semesters. So once you enter TIU, you will not need to go through any visa procedures. Before your second semester starts, you will be informed about course registration and host family matching.

3.2) I am currently a JSP student staying for one semester. Now I would like to stay for another semester. Can I participate in the next semester? What do I need to do?

Answer: Yes, you can extend your stay by another semester. Exchange students from TIU’s partner schools should contact their school’s program coordinator and our International Exchange Office. Non-exchange students should make sure if there are any steps to go through at their home university first, before informing our International Exchange Office.

There are no additional application requirements, but you will need to apply for an extension of your visa period. Our International Exchange Office will inform you about the visa application at the same time as new students applying for the next semester. Please refer to the admission schedule.

3.3) What kind of accommodations are available during the breaks from school?

Answer: TIU does not offer accommodations during the breaks. Students have to take care of their housing during the break themselves.

4) Will JSP students be given any certificate or equivalent document after completing JSP?

Answer: Yes. A Completion Certificate in English and Japanese will be issued and handed out during the Closing Ceremony. Also an official academic transcript will be issued and mailed about one month after JSP ends.

5) This is my first time to stay with a host family. What if I really cannot get along with them?

Answer: Nearly all of our matching goes off without a hitch, but rest assured that if you’re having a tough time adjusting to your host family, we will match you up with another one.

6) I can barely speak any Japanese, do I really need to submit the Japanese Placement Test?

Answer: Please fill out just the questions you know the answer to. If you cannot fill out anything, there is no need to submit the test, but please state you could not solve any questions in your e-mail.

7) Can I sit in for a course, rather than registering for it?

Answer: Unfortunately, we do not allow students to sit in for a course. You must register for a course in order to participate.