1. Program Fees
|Program Fees||Spring 2024||Fall 2024|
|Tuition *1||600,000 JPY||600,000 JPY|
|Homestay *2||305,000 JPY||307,500 JPY|
|Liability Insurance||1,600 JPY||1,600 JPY|
|Kyoto Excursion (Optional) *3||85,000 JPY||85,000 JPY|
*2 Homestay cost is calculated based on a daily rate. If the TIU academic schedule changes, the homestay cost may also change accordingly. Breakfast and dinner are provided on weekdays, and 3 meals are provided on weekends. Students need to provide their own lunch during the weekdays.
|Transport & hotel on arrival day||12,000 JPY|
|National Health Insurance *1||5,000 JPY|
|Student Commuter Pass (4 months) *2||Shortest commute (30 mins.): 25,000 JPY Furthest commute (90 mins.): 60,000 JPY|
|Textbooks||5,000 - 15,000 JPY|
|Weekday Lunches||85,000 JPY (1000 JPY x 5 days x 17 weeks)|
|Personal Spending||100,000 JPY|
(airfare excluded) *3
|232,000 JPY - 277,000 JPY|
*2 Student commuter passes for transportation between TIU and the homestay location are not included. Prices for commuter passes may vary depending on the distance from TIU.
*3 Students who participate in two consecutive semesters are responsible for all expenses between semesters, including lodging, food and travel.
- All program fees are due in full by the deadline designated as “Enrollment Step 2 Deadline” under the admission schedule, and must be paid in Japanese yen by bank transfer.
- All banking fees incurred in the country of origin are at the remitter’s expense.
- Program fee refunds for cancellation are as follows:
- More than one month before arrival day: 100% of program fee minus bank transfer charges
- Less than one month before arrival day: 90% of program fee minus bank transfer charges
- Arrival day and following two weeks: 50% of program fee minus bank transfer charges
- More than two weeks after arrival day: no refund
- Students will not be reimbursed for any missed field trips, events, or other parts included in the program.
- Once you apply for the Kyoto Excursion, we are unable to accept cancellations except in the case of an unavoidable circumstances. Kyoto Excursion fee refunds for cancellation are as follows:
- More than 21 days before Kyoto Excursion departure: 100% of Kyoto Excursion fee minus bank transfer charges
- Between 20 days and 1 day prior to Kyoto Excursion departure: in between less than 100% and more than 50% of the fee minus bank transfer charges. (The amount of refunds will be based on the cancellation policies of transportation, hotel and other fees.)
- Kyoto Excursion departure day: 50% of Kyoto Excursion fee minus bank transfer charges
- After Kyoto Excursion departure, or in case of failure to show without notice: no refund
- Students are provided with a private room with a bed/futon, desk, lamp, chair, closet, and temperature control in the host-family’s home. Bath/toilet facilities are shared with the family.
- Meals included in the program fees are breakfast and dinner on weekdays, and breakfast, lunch, and dinner on weekends. These are served at the homestay location. If the student is not present for meals, those meals will not be reimbursed.
- Students are not able to stay with their host family before the semester starts or after the semester ends.
- Students who participate in two consecutive semesters are responsible for all individual expenses incurred between semesters, including lodging, food and travel. Students will not be able to stay with their host families during the time between the two semesters. However, students can continue with the same family for the second semester, and often do.
- Insurance coverage begins on arrival day and ends on the last day of the program’s closing month. Policy details will be explained during orientation.
- Each student is responsible for his or her own travel expenses to and from the program. Airport pickup is provided on the date of arrival in Japan during designated times only.
- Personal spending will vary depending on each student’s spending habits and lifestyle. Personal expenses include eating out, transportation costs outside your daily commute, personal living expenses (toiletries, clothing, etc.), and entertainment.
- 100,000 yen is the MINIMUM recommended amount to bring for miscellaneous expenses. Students who plan to go to Tokyo often and/or travel to different areas of Japan should expect to need more funds.